Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Life Size Self Portrait


Here it is! My life-size self portrait! This was the culmination of 10 weeks of life drawing classes, and I'm pretty proud of it. I definitely couldn't have done something this involved before taking this class. If you told me I would be making a six foot tall drawing of myself by the end of my freshman year of college I would have said you were crazy!

Thanks to my fantastic drawing teacher for being so supportive and helpful, and just a great person all around. I couldn't have asked for a better professor to have for all my drawing foundations classes.

Transportation was a little tricky since I taped my paper onto a six foot tall piece of foam board to keep it flat. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of rolling it up and unrolling it every time I wanted to work. The project took up the entire trunk of my small SUV! Good thing I have a big trunk! (That's actually my sister's drawing on top, mine is underneath.)



Scroll down for all of my process images.

This is the analytical line drawing with all the alignment lines. It still had proportional problems at this point, especially with the head being too small. I had to go back in and remeasure.



Value block-in. I took a break from sighting the face, which I was having a hard time with. Also, the right hand that is gripping the bat is horrendous. I tried to be lazy and just draw what I thought it looked like without thinking about structure.

If you are an artist reading this, DON'T EVER forget structure. You're just wasting your time and will have to go back and fix it anyway.


Refining value and adding details. I finally got the face pretty much right. And made much better hands!


This was my little area of the classroom I worked in. The mirror was placed where I am standing. To get a sense of the scale, my orange field hockey stick (named "The Wizard Stick" by classmates who didn't know what field hockey was =P )


Close up of the hand. You can see the mixture of hatching and cross contour lines I used for shading.



Close-up of the upper body.


No comments:

Post a Comment