Saturday, April 21, 2012

Collage Self Portrait


This is a collage self-portrait of myself playing tournament softball. The entire thing is made up of magazine cut-outs. This was an assignment for my painting class in which we were supposed to "paint with paper." I am happy with the way it came out, especially with the folds of the shorts and the stripes on the shirt. 


The hardest part about the whole process was getting the skin color to look right. It was very hard to find large areas of colors in magazines that looked like they could be different shades of the same skin tone. I tried to stay away from using pictures of actual people, as I found it much harder to find multiple people with the same skin tone rather than just looking for the right colors. It took very long to make, and I think the overall process was way too tedious for my liking. So, although I like the effect, I don't see myself doing another piece like this.

1 comment: