This piece was one of my first acrylic paintings that I did at the beginning of this school year. It was an abstract assignment for my painting class. At first, I really wasn't looking forward to doing it because whenever I hear the word abstract I try to turn in the opposite direction. As you can tell, I am not a big fan of abstract. However, when I found out we would be zooming in on a small area of a larger picture I began to think that the assignment wouldn't be that bad. It wasn't.
I was flipping through magazines trying to look for something interesting and dynamic to use for an abstract piece. I was really excited when I found this one. If you can guess what it is, then good for you! (the title of the post is a hint). I will reveal what it is at the end of the post.
It was a little bit of a challenge to decide which side would be the top. It was an abstract piece so it really could have been any side and it wouldn't make too much of a difference. However, I thought this angle would be the most intersting to look at. I thought it would have a better effect if it was vertical. I started with a sketch on the canvas and then started painting.
Okay, at this point I have to reveal what the painting is in order to talk about it more. It's the inside of a seal's mouth! I thought the line of jagged teeth would make a good subject to zoom in on. I didn't know seals could look so vicious! I think the irregular spacing of the teeth as they are repeated throughout the image help to create a sense of energy. I also like the effect that it looks like the viewer is going to be swallowed up in the looming jaw. Overall, I ended up liking the project even though I was a bit leery at hearing the word abstract. Hope you like it!

No comments:
Post a Comment